Sunday, October 25, 2009

To Life . . . with gratitude and happiness

I’ve just completed my 3 months transplant journey with all kinds of good news from my doctors. The most critical period after transplant is behind me and I only have to go to Stanford once a month for the next nine months.

Pete and I made our longest driving trip since my surgery – we went to Las Vegas for a few days. Now that I know I can sit for so many hours we’re hoping for a plane trip next.

Joan just returned from her trip to Vancouver Island to see her friend from high school and her three god children.

I am so grateful to all my doctors, nurses, and the entire kidney transplant team at Stanford for their wonderful care. I am also grateful to the local doctors, nurses, and the SLO Dialysis Center team for keeping me in good health in order to have a successful transplant and recovery. To all my family members, friends, business associates, and some people I have never met who have sustained me with prayers, cards, email, flowers, and all types of positive support I am forever grateful. Without Joan who showed me her greatest love by giving me one of her kidneys, I would not have been able to make this wonderful journey. I can once again live an active normal life and I feel blessed.

The best way for me to sum up my last three months is to express how happy I am and what happiness has been for me.

Happiness is…

• Feeling better and stronger each day after my transplant
• Supported and surrounded by wonderful, positive family, friends, and medical team
• Spending quality time with our grand daughter Jade and watching her grow (I love her smiles.)
• Blessed with two loving daughters who have been there for us throughout my recovery and all the time (We’re so fortunate to have them live close by.)
• To have the wonderful team of doctors, nurses, and staff at Stanford who have helped me from three years ago until now and many more years to come (What a dedicated group of people.)
• For the wonderful service at the Marriott Residence Inn at Los Altos (We highly recommend them.)
• To have Pete by my side 24/7 these past months from before surgery until now (bringing me food, literally carrying everything when I couldn't, taking walks with me, and staying positive throughout my ups and downs during recovery, and taking me to all my hospital appointments, and driving me to see places in our motor home.

• My office associates and Joy stepping up and “holding down the fort” in my absence, dealing with all the challenges of the business.
• My sister and cousin who stayed at our house and took over the care of our mom in the nursing home.
• Last but not least, for Joan being my donor and suffered for a month after her surgery in order to give me a functioning kidney and a new life, I’m forever grateful!

My list can go on and on, but just a glimpse of why I’ve been happy and positive throughout this journey. Happiness, according to some studies, may help us live longer and healthier and has a positive effect on our immune system. The World Health Organization considers depression the leading cause of disability for women of all ages and projects that by 2020 it will rank as the number two cause of global disability after heart disease. So, in a nutshell, “Don’t worry, be happy!”

Here are some tips for being positive and happy:
• Exercise or stay active
• Listen to your body and eat a healthy diet
• Be grateful for what you have, who you are and the people you enjoy
• Reach out and touch some one in a positive way no matter how small
• Work hard, play hard

Happiness is also getting back into my regular clothes again. My weight had fluctuated 30 pounds in the last three years due to diets and dialysis from my renal failure and I’ve gone through three wardrobes. What a wonderful feeling to be “normal” again.

I was listening to Barbara Streisand’s song “Here’s to Life.” This is what she said about her song:

“Here’s to life …

speaks to the idea that
no matter what you’ve
experienced in life, joy as
well as pain, it’s all a gift.
Being alive and still
wanting more…more love,
compassion, understanding,
giving…more experiences.
I think of all the roads
yet to be traveled … ‘I still
believe in chasing dreams
and placing bets.’”

I share her philosophy about life, and you might too. So . . . Here’s to life to all of you and me!

Addie

2 comments:

  1. My twin nephews have both gone through transplants in the last year...they are 14 and doing great...One from the father, and the mother for the other guy 3 weeks ago...we are so grateful for what they can do now. I wrote a small piece and show a video in my July posts. Peace.

    ReplyDelete