Sunday, September 6, 2009

Home Sweet Home

There's no place like home. We came home on Tuesday and have been busy unpacking and getting back to the routines of "normal living." It was nice to come home to a clean house (thanks to my friend and faithful cleaning lady, Frauke, who also did double duty in our absence visiting Mom at the nursing home every day). Everyone did a fabulous job keeping the house, plants, and garden in good shape. We've been harvesting our vegetables, and have been enjoying our organic produce. I felt so much better the very day I came home - all my pain is gone and its nice to be able to bend down, take two walks a day, cook, sleep on my sides instead of just on my back, and finally drove myself to get a hair cut.

It was so exciting to see little Jade and she was so happy to see us. What a precious moment when she reached out her arms to me and wouldn't stop hugging me, putting her head on my shoulder and looking at my face now and then to make sure I'm really here. What pure joy! She was happy just to sit next to Grandma and to find all her toys and books she hasn't seen for a while. That smile of hers always warms our hearts.

With the exception of the meds schedule (my meds have been lessened to 2/3 of what they were) and having to rest now and then throughout the day I feel like I might be able to work at the office on a limited basis soon. We'll see! I do have two more triips to Stanford this month for follow-ups.

We've been enjoying the garden, home cooking and even got to see "The Producers" yesterday at Clark Center. Frauke made a ratatouille from our eggplants from the garden plus a fresh peach pie and came by Friday evening to have pizza that Pete made. Life is pretty good as long as we don't have any more heat waves. Pete is out on his bike, enjoying his gardening, has done some planting, and will resume at the gym and volunteering at the botanical garden.

The Central Coast is definitely the best place to live. We enjoyed the Los Altos/ Palo Alto area but as soon as we saw the Pacific Ocean and no traffic we know we've come back to "Paradise."

It's the little things in life that sometimes make such a difference. I'm counting my blessings and grateful to be back to home, sweet home.

Cheers!

Addie

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you have just managed to make me home sick for the Central Coast! We've been in San Diego for five years, and it took me about three to enjoy it here, but now I really need to plan a visit back to "Paradise" :)

    I'm so thrilled that you are back in your home and your girls. You are a walking miracle! Praise God.

    Hope Joan is also feeling great.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooray!!! We were just driving by your home today and I was thinking of you. It is so good to hear that you are home and I love your description of the homecoming with Jade. She loves her grandma!

    We would LOVE to connect with you and Pete soon to see how you are with our own eyes. Are you ready to go out for a dinner? We could get a sitter and meet you at a restaurant - so we can sit and really visit.

    Much love,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Addie,
    Penny and I are delighted to hear that you are home, healthy and well. Our prayers have been answered, and what a journey you've had.... So nice to see your photo with the vegetable basket. You look great!! All our best to you and Pete. I was so happy to read your description of the joy in seeing and holding little Jade. That precious moment when they hold your face and they just want to look at you. So special. Remember when I used to tell you of how little Mia would do that with me....and now its your turn. How great is that? God Bless you all. Welcome home!

    Penny and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Aunt Addie! I'm extremely happy that you are back home now and doing really well. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete