Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Week of Celebrations


Pete is back from a trip to Colorado Springs to celebrate his sister's 60th birthday. The rest of us stayed home to celebrate my mother's 89th birthday. I'm celebrating my going back to work a few hours a day and getting back to the "swing of things." It's good to see everyone.

It was nice to have a two-month vacation even under the circumstance. Pete and I have never spent so much time together day in and out. It's good to know that we enjoy each other's company even under the situation - "in sickness or in health." Guess we will survive our retirement years when I decide to "hang up my hat."

I mentioned in my last blog that I was catching up on paying bills. I am thankful that most of those bills had nothing to do with my medical expenses. Thank goodness for our good health insurance. Based on my personal experience starting over three years ago when I was diagnosed with renal failure, my medical bills had increased drastically. I would have had to pay about $500/day for over a year for my home dialysis supplies and equipment if I didn't have good insurance coverage. Some of my meds cost up to $600 per month but because of my co-pay through my insurance I was able to take them as prescribed, sometimes having to change meds due to side effects. One of the anti-viral pills I am taking (thank goodness I won't need it after October 15!) would have cost me $60 a pill without insurance. How can we afford such high medical expenses and prescription drug costs if it hadn't been for the health insurance we have? I haven't seen the bills from Stanford Hospital and can't imagine the figures on those bills. All I've heard is if it hasn't been for my insurance coverage my immuno-supressant meds which most likely I will have to take for life could run into thousands of dollars per year. The question remains "how much health care reform do we need in this country?" I can only speak for myself as to where I'd be if it hadn't been for my insurance coverage. So far, I have the peace of mind knowing that as long as I pay my premium, the insurance company can not cancel me. One never knows when your health can take a turn in your life. If and when it happens, it affects you and your family emotionally, physically and financially. I've been fortunate that I have a wonderful family and many friends who have been there for me and continue to do so. We have been blessed with very few illnesses in our family and never had to face what some people go through in their lives. I have greater compassion for those who try to overcome their health issues, some long term, some terminal, some with pain and suffering, some with complications from meds, some with major depression, etc. etc. As much as I have great support and could continue to work, the last three years were a challenge in different ways. I've learned to become a more positive, compassionate, tolerant, disciplined, and hopefully patient person. I've grown in ways I never knew I could. I've learned to appreciate people and things I sometimes took for granted. I've learned to look at the bigger picture in life and value the special moments of each day.

Joan and I will have our last follow-up appointments at Stanford Hospital next week. We both hope to get "flying colors" reports from our doctors. Joan has been working full time for the last month taking care of the office. Not only did she give me her kidney, she came home to take care of many things for my business and at home while I was in Palo Alto. How lucky I am!

I'm glad Joan and Joy live so close by and we get to see little Jade several times a week. With the Cal Poly students back on campus this week, Joy is keeping busy at work. SLO is "alive" again.

So life goes on and my 3rd phase of recovery will soon be behind me. Pete has helped me so much with his 24/7 care-giving, driving, cooking, and his amazing patience during my recovery. Yes, I am blessed and that calls for the biggest celebration!


What are you celebrating this week?


Addie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mom!
    I'm celebrating having you and Joan home! And, reflecting on this busy week at Cal Poly reminds me that I'm so thankful to have a wonderful job that I love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post, Addie! I'm celebrating your and Joan's amazing recoveries and the fact that health care reform in our country is a true possibility! Thanks for adding your perspective and experience!

    May the blessings continue...
    J, M, and T

    ReplyDelete