Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Bosom Buddy

We've just returned from Stanford (3 appointments in two hours, including the removal of the stent from my ureter which was placed during the transplant). We managed to get some walking in by visiting IKEA and even had open-faced sandwich and Swedish meatballs for lunch there.

I'm glad to be home again and will be going in to my office for the first time in two months starting with a few hours each day and eventually full time by October.

On Friday after work Joan had the office associates over in her home for a TGIF. Pete made pizza and baked cookies and Joan gave a nice buffet as usual. It was good to see everyone and to do a little catching up and visiting. That's when I decided I'm ready to go back and face my work.

I was pleasantly surprised by a visit from my cousin from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, whom I haven't seen for over 40 years and his son from Sydney, Australia whom I've never met. My brother Baru drove them and they stayed with us for two days (our first house guests since our coming home). We enjoyed their visit and hope to visit them when we're ready to travel again.

I've had a bosom buddy for the last two months since I was discharged from the hospital. Like the heart patients who get a red heart-shaped pillow, I received a baby blue one instead. My initial reaction was what would I do with it? Little did I know that this pillow would become my bosom buddy and I've carried it day and night from the car to the couch and to my bed. It serves as a cushion between the seat belt and my abdominal area when traveling in the car or motor home. I use it to rest my arms and as a prop wherever needed. It's like having a teddy bear all over again. It's amazing how something so insignificant has become my constant companion all these weeks.

Pete and I have enjoyed cooking at home and going on walks a couple times a day. I am allowed to carry over 10 lbs. now so I can pick up and hold little Jade again. It's also nice to be able to drive. It's great just to feel good and not have to do my dialysis every day and nine hours every night. Just imagine how much more time I have now to just do as I wish.

I'm slowly getting around to "thank you" notes, returning phone calls, paying bills, and seeing a few people as opportunity presents itself. I hope to catch up with more of you as time dictates. It's still wonderful to hear from those of you who have kept in touch. Your thoughts and friendship are always appreciated.

Stay healthy and live each day to the fullest!

Until my next blog,

Addie

1 comment:

  1. You are a walking miracle! It's truly amazing how little things can give us such sense of comfort and contentment.

    Continuing my prayers for you and Joan.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete